Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Can I change the pH of water to pH 9 by using baking soda?

Tap water is neutral on the pH scale, my assignment is to change the pH of water by 2, up or down, doesnt matter. Baking soda is 9 on the pH scale, so if I added some baking soda into some tap water, and it dissolved, would the pH of water jump up to 9? If not, then how can I change the pH of water by 2? Thank you!Can I change the pH of water to pH 9 by using baking soda?
Yup...sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) is a weak base...that will work.



You could also use a little bit of washing soda (sodium carbonate), cement lime (calcium oxide adn calcium hydroxide) or a tiny amount of drain cleaner...just be really really careful with the drain cleaner - it is a strong base called sodium hydroxide. Better yet - don't use drain cleaner...



If you want to lower the pH, try some lemon juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment