Saturday, November 20, 2010

Rock Changing PH?

I have a 10 gallon tank (freshwater). I recently added a rock from a petstore. I am not sure what it is called. After I added it to my tank, I checked the pH and the pH 6.0 ppm and it was used to be 7.0 ppm. How do I know if it is the rock that changed the water to 6ppm. Also, when I added the rock, there were bubbles coming from it. I am not sure what to do! Help! How do I fix it?



And please give me a reason why the pH changed?



I have a 10 gallon tank (freshwater) with 2 Cherry Barb and 2 Cory Cats. These fish have been here since January.



Thank you in advance.Rock Changing PH?
I really doubt the rock caused the pH change. I think it was probably just coincidence that it changed about the time you added the rock. Odds are very good you have a low KH or carbonate hardness in your tank. This would allow the pH to easily drop over time. The best thing to do is frequent small water changes to keep the pH from dropping too far too quickly. If that doesn't seem to help, remove the rock and see if it will slowly go back up with water changes and stabilize where it was.



There are a few other things you can try if none of this works, feel free to email me and I'll be glad to help more.



MMRock Changing PH?
The rock really shouldn't have affected the ph i have added rock to my tanks and never had a problem some rock if very porous so you will have lots of air bubbles coming out. if you have driftwood the ph will drop if the fish have been in the tank and you haven't done a water change try doing a small water change and see if the ph levels back out.
bubbles are not a bad sign it just is air grasping on from puting it in all rock carry a risk of pH change even gravel. but usally it's very slight. Did you every work with somthing with a asidic property like lemon juice or soda then stick your hand in the tank this may have affected your pH. pH changes are always fluxuating so don't freak at least not yet.
Some rocks do change the PH in a tank. Yes a low KH (carbonate hardness) is likely the culprit as to why a rock would raise the PH do suddenly. Here is a link to an article that I wrote on this topic. It lists many rocks and substrates that do raise the PH.



http://fishlesscycling.com/articles/the_
the rock may have reacted with the acid in the tank when you put in if it did not change it too much do not worry about it your tank will be fine if their was any paint on it when you first put in the tank that might have some thing to do with that the bubbles that you speak of were only air trapped in side the rock when the rock is good and soaked that will stop if you have a ph kit it will show how to change the ph of your tank you tank should be fine

No comments:

Post a Comment