Monday, November 22, 2010

How much solvent will you have to add to change the pH of this solution?

How much solvent will you have to add to 150 mL of sulfurous acid that has a pH of 3.500 to change it to a pH of 4.000?



So I have about 50 questions just like that one, and not a single clue how to figure it out. Can someone walk me through this so I can get my studying done? :(How much solvent will you have to add to change the pH of this solution?
I take it the solvent is a basic solution. First you have to find the concentration of the initial acid, using the equation pH = - log [H+] . Then find the number of mol needed to partially neutralize the acid in order to bring the pH up to 4. Don't forget to take into account the volume change!
  • keep man interest
  • natural hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment