Monday, June 6, 2011

Why does the pH lvl change (go up) when KOH is added to water?

Heres my full question:



';If KOH were added to WATER, and the potassium (K) became an ion (K+) and the OH- was ';released'; into the water, would the oH of the water change? y or n. If yes it would go ____ (up or down).



I have the answers that my teacher gave us as being: YES and UP.







I need to know why. I need to know how I should know that with out knowing the pH lvls.....like I need to know how she thinks Im supposed to just know this.....I understand the pH scale and everything...I just dont know how Im supposed to know that with her only saying that I have a + ion and a - ion.....



Please tell me how and why with out knowing the pH lvls of each thing.



Thanks!Why does the pH lvl change (go up) when KOH is added to water?
pH is an indication not only of [H+] concentration, but also of [OH-]. pH 1-7 indicates acidic (i.e. H+ present), pH 7 is neutral (concentration of H+ = OH- or neither present) pH 7-14 indicates basic solution (i.e. OH- present). Therefore as more OH- is present, pH increases. Water is considered netural, therefore is you *** KOH and it dissociates into K+ and OH-, then obviously amt of OH- in water increases and it's pH goes up.
  • camcorders
  • advice on improving
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment