Monday, June 6, 2011

Are you kidding me? 2nd try... No one can answer? Plants, Aquarium, Freshwater?

Come on! 2 years ago I would have had at least 2 good answers. HELP! PLEASE!



Freshwater, 65 gallon, 2.5 years old.



My substrate was well formulated in the beginning for plants. I have a bio Eheim filter of 5 levels, greater than that of the aquarium. Nitrates are always a bit high even with weekly 30% changes. PH at around 6 and stable. GH much lower but stable.



I have a back drop to my aquarium which has grown a fine (beautiful) grass, moss algae but also likes to grown on plants.



Have noticed that algae dominates plants. Most older plants are dying off.



Liquid CO2 lowers the PH in my aquarium so I do not use it every day.



I have replaced plants which should all be tollerable to 28-30% temps F.



I have discus fish as main fish.



Time for a complete overhaul? How long does original substrate last to maintain healthy plants?



suggestions?



ThanksAre you kidding me? 2nd try... No one can answer? Plants, Aquarium, Freshwater?
Complete overhaul is a bit too much hassle and stressful for Discuss. Take a look at your bulbs. Luminescent bulbs do loose their brightness before complete burn out. Try replacing? BTW, why do you replace so much water weekly? Try reducing to 15% weekly. Let bacteria and plants take care of nitrates/nitritesAre you kidding me? 2nd try... No one can answer? Plants, Aquarium, Freshwater?
It lasts about two weeks but keep an eye on it.
biggest thing you are not saying is the kind and wattage of the lights you are using...



the Original substrate last years and years as long as it is not to compact....



i don't recommend an overhaul untill you give more info
Yes, I reccomend a complete overhaul.



Plants need a fine substrate that does not compact to the point ... More importantly, it serves long term as a chemical attachment point for trace elements in the substrate.



Also. If you dont want the hassle of a real plant. I suggest getting a fake one if you want.
I agree with the others, we need the details about your lighting to answer your question.

No comments:

Post a Comment