Monday, June 6, 2011

If I am doing a titration, how can I find the range of pH's in the equivalence point?

When you titrates a acid against a base, or vice versa, the pH changes drastically from acidic to basic or basic to acidic. How can I plot a rough titration curve without doing the experiment when I know the strength of the acid, base and the salt they form (pKa or Ka or pKb or Kb) and their concentration (moldm^-3)? I assume I find it by finding the pH of the acidic and basic solutions and starting there? In addition, will a vertical line equivalence point with a good range of pH be found when titrating a weak acid from a burette of strong acid, or should I switch their positions around in the experiment?If I am doing a titration, how can I find the range of pH's in the equivalence point?
generally titrations are made by using single indicator.

But if you are new to titrations

use two or more different set ups and use different indicators.

First avoid indicator with large pH range.

When you will master few of such experiments i'm sure you will not get problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment