Monday, June 6, 2011

3ft tank 1 week 2 days old 126L 33 Gallons?

I just purchased 2 Oscars. One 1 inch Tiger Oscar and another Red Albino Oscar who is fatter and slightly larger. I had done exactly what the pet shop told me Water Ager in when i fill the tank up let it filter for one week i also put in a Vita Pet pH neutraliser block and a 10cm long bubble bar. I have cichlid pellets and blood worms. The pH level is currwntly on 7.4 i would like it to go down how would i go about doing so i have a Vita Pet pH test kit that came with alkalinity down and acidity up and acidity up and alkaline down podwer both say to ad 0.5 units per 20L no idea what this means though. I was also wondering about the water it is slightly cloudy just looking from one side of the tank to the other long ways through the glass. Any help on what to do next as far as water changes pH levels go. Also shloud i buy a ammonia nitrate test kit. There are curently no lights and 2 plastic plants and 2 little ornaments and some gravel covering the bottom.3ft tank 1 week 2 days old 126L 33 Gallons?
First of all, I wouldn't mess with the pH. I've kept a lot of fish for a while now with that same pH reading of 7.4 with no problems. If you start mixing in chemicals, unless you really know what you're doing, you can easily do more harm than good to your entire system. I found that out the hard way, so you can trust me on that.



As one answerer has already said, your biggest problem will eventually be that your tank is too small to properly house oscars. I strongly encourage you to return them both to the fish store on some store credit. Then in a few more days after your tank's had time to completely cycle, think about getting some fish that stay smaller and aren't too aggressive.



Good luck. :)



EDIT: Yes, 25% water changes every four days should do you fine. Great about moving those fish into bigger tanks, that should help your situation a lot. Sounds like you're doing to be just fine.3ft tank 1 week 2 days old 126L 33 Gallons?
I hate to tell you this but unless you plan on upgrading your tank to at least 120, you're not going to be able to keep 2 oscars let alone 1 in a 33 Gallon aquarium. Also 9 days is not enough for the nitrogen cylce to fully complete. The cloudy water is due to your tank not being fully cycled and is the result of the bacterial bloom (beneficial) associated with a new tank. As oscars are fairly hardy, they shouldn't show too much of an ill effect to the cycling process. Personally I would either return both Oscars or get a larger tank for them,



Hope this helps.
Ph of 7.4? Why do you think that's a problem? I have two oscars, both of which have been thriving in a ph of exactly that! Do not play with ph's. That constant up and down of you trying to right it will stress the fish! If you do it, you certainly won't have any fish to worry about! LOL.



I'm glad you're upgrading your oscars to a bigger home, otherwise there would be no way to keep them. And as for the cycle thing... I WISH a cycle only took 9 days!! I have a 75 here that has just finished, took me 2 months! And that was without fish and no water changes! I used pure ammonia.



After all the fish I have lost in the past being ignorant to have a cycled tank first.(All being oscars.) I have learned to appreciate their bio-load and that those fish can only really be housed in completely cycled tanks!



I'm afraid that they might not walk away from an uncycled tank in one piece! You might end up with a nasty case of Hole in the Head, which Oscars, sadly enough are prone to!



Of the four oscars I introduced stupidly to an uncycled tank, on top of doing water changes... only one survived. Even then, she has a hole in the head scar. As a reminder.



I learned an IMPORTANT lesson: Oscars NEED big tanks, BIG CYCLED tanks! As in the smallest you can house ONE oscar in is a 55 gal!



Good luck to you, I think I would bring all back except one, Buy a water test kit and test the water daily along with big water changes. Only put in the other fish when you have an established aquarium.
  • best c ide
  • hair pictures
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment