Monday, June 6, 2011

Neon Tetras and water quality tolerance?

I've had an assortment of tetras in a 29g tank for about a year now in RO water. After a recent addition of 6 more, bringing my total up to about 35, I noticed they started to look stressed. I did a quick check of the water and found the pH was at 5.0. Was a bit shocked by this. After 5 days of adding in a small amount of dechlorinated tap water I got the pH to 6.5 and everyone started looking better. I keep up with my weekly water changes. Hence my concern. The pH going for a good 6.8 to 5.0 (or less) in under a week is not something I want to happen.



After this little episode, I am considering adapting them to tap water, which is buffered against pH change... however, the parameters aren't exactly ideal from what everything I've researched tells me neons prefer. The reason I'm considering this now is they are going to be moving into a new 55g tank in a few weeks, so if I am going to adapt them to tap water, now is the time to do it.



Current water conditions in their tank is:

GH 4

KH 1

pH 6.5



Water conditions out of the tap are:

GH 11

KH 9

pH 8



As you can see, it's not likely tap water will change pH values on me. My question to those with experience with neon tetras is: How will they do in the tap water in my area? Please, only answer if you have experience with neons. Thanks!Neon Tetras and water quality tolerance?
Thats the problem with using pure RO water in a tank. It's TOO pure.



The hardness is very low, and that means it takes very little acidic material to crash the pH.



Adding a little treated tap water as you have done is the best option. Mix back a little tap water (maybe 20%?) with your RO water to get the pH you want and it will be more stable as there will now be some hardness to act as a buffer.



IanNeon Tetras and water quality tolerance?
You have two options;

Either use a buffer solution designed to make RO water optimum for amazon species or what |i would do is mix RO water with dechlorinated tap water.

Try two parts RO to one part tap and premix it before adding.
  • brazilian wax experience
  • home theater
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment