Monday, June 6, 2011

How can I lower the acidity in my homemade spaghetti sauce?

I use tomato puree/sauce - the acidity of the tomatoes is a little too much for some of my friends.



I'm already aware of the ';add sugar'; suggestion but sugar is acidic itself and just balances the taste. Is there a different ingredient I can use to actually change the pH level and ward off sour stomach? Flour? Baking Soda?





Thanks in advance for all your answers!How can I lower the acidity in my homemade spaghetti sauce?
I found a site about food acidity and it had some information pertaining to tomatoes that might be helpful. It suggest that using fresh tomatoes rather than canned would be helpful since they are generally less acidic and that the more ripe the tomato the less acidic it is. Heres the link to the page:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname

Good luck and happy cooking.How can I lower the acidity in my homemade spaghetti sauce?
I personally haven't done this but I have heard of it. Put a carrot in the sauce during the cooking process.
Tray adding a tablespoon of milk for every 2.5 cups of puree. This cuts the acidity and adds a ';smoothness'; to the sauce.
For canning or preserving your homemade spaghetti sauce, a lower ph is desirable to avoid mold growth. Meat when added , will increase the pH (lower the acidity). Any seafood product also will do the same but you can add it while you are already cooking
Have you tried zucchini or potato halved and sliced about 2mm thick? Might work
Throw in some mushrooms. They cut the acidity.
Don't use the puree. Change your recipe.



Have you tried some of the many sauces you buy in jars at the supermarket? They have all different types and most do not have that strong flavor that hurts so many tummies and give indigestion.



I know what your friends are talking about, I can hardly eat any homemade sauces or chili. And some of the spices really hurt such as oregano. Seems like I can feel and/or taste oregano for several days. The same with red pepper.



By the way, how about clam sauce. I'm sure your company would find this delicious. You can find this in jars too if you don't want to make it from scratch.
I'm not sure how long you are cooking your sauce for but you could try cooking it for a lesser amount of time. The longer you cook it, the more acidic it will become because the liquid evaporates. 30 minutes is good, maximum 45 minutes.



Also, you're right. Sugar doesn't prevent the acidity it just masks the taste of it. I don't know of any ingredient you can add to change the PH other than more liquid i.e. water.
Try milk, or cream
A pinch of baking soda should do However cooked tomato sauce is high in acid.
  • create a circle text
  • different myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment