Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Help with pH buffers?

Okay, so for a science project I am doing the effect of pH on plants. To change the pH of water, I use pH buffers, right? My teacher said that he will order them, but I don't even know what to do with them. How much of the buffer and water should I mix to get water with a certain pH? Please explain in simplest words possible, I am soo confused!!!Help with pH buffers?
Buffers are solutions of weak acid/base and a salt of that acid/base.



The pH of the base is given by

pH = pKa + log [Acid]/[Salt] (If it is an acidic buffer)

pH = 14 - pKb - log[Base]/[Salt] (If it is basic)



The pKa or pKb values will be mentioned on the pack (or you can easily find them on the internet). Then, figure out what pH you want, and adjust the last term in each of the equations, by adding either acid or base.



Read http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/acid to know more about buffers.

No comments:

Post a Comment