Tuesday, May 31, 2011

If my tank's pH seems to stay at a low lvl (6.2-6.4), how do I acclimate new fish from a fish store?

I have a 3month old 10gallon freshwater tank. It's my first tank and I've just been doing what the guys at the local ';boutique'; fish store have told me to do. I do weekly 25% water change, use Neutral regulator, add some salt (but not too much), Amquel water conditioner. At first I also used distilled water but then after a month used tap water (which has a pH of 7-7.2). Maybe my problems with my low pH are due to general hardness or alkalinity, but in any case I can't seem to keep my pH higher than 6.4. I'm not neglecting anything... Last Saturday the tropical fish store even gave me some kind of saltwater powder stuff that they said was SURE to get my pH up. Nope. They also gave me a rock that i believe is some kind of carbonate rock. They say all my other stats are fine (ie Ammonia, nitrates, nitrites)



Through all my trolling in fish forums it looks like I could just let the pH remain low and just let fish adapt to it. So the question is... can I put the new fish in a little bowl (i could add a bubbler) and slowly add my tank's water to it? They say sudden pH changes is the worst for fish... how am I ever gonna add new fish if the store's pH is closer to 7.0-7.2?



btw, I had a swordtail, red wag platy, 5 tetras, and a tiny bottom feeder(forget name)... I am now down to just one neon tetra. Heh, I bought the tank so I could watch fish.... not water with a rocks! lolIf my tank's pH seems to stay at a low lvl (6.2-6.4), how do I acclimate new fish from a fish store?
Your natural water may in fact have a low Ph most water companies buffer the water for the pallet, this buffer generally breaks down after 24hrs, you can find this out by storing some tap water for 24hrs and testing the Ph then do it again after another 24hrs to see the difference.

Trying to adjust the Ph in an aquarium is not something I do on a regular basis, when I had a fish house and required different Ph's I would use the likes of Peat moss to lower or carbonate substances in the filtration system, Of course I had various filtration units that I could use and generally used a external canister system.



The Ph you have is fairly suitable for all south american fish which given your tank size would be your best bet.



When you buy your fish, I'd float the bag to match the temp then every 10 Min's let some of the water from the tank into the bag, just a small amount do this until the bag is on the verge of sinking then net the fish out and allow them into the tank, this should be sufficient to acclimatize the fish to the Ph.



The fish shops water sounds as if is being replaced quicker than the breakdown of the buffer if that's the source. I would stop using artificial additives to the tank as this will only solve the problem in the short term and will have a detrimental effect on the likes of Neon Tetras as they would be more comfortable at the 6.2/6.5 range anyway.If my tank's pH seems to stay at a low lvl (6.2-6.4), how do I acclimate new fish from a fish store?
Here's what I would do, change your water about half way, fill with clean water, add a air/bubble stone (bigger the better) then change out or rinse out your filters good. then leave the pump on and let the water settle. You should be fine.
I would put some plants in the tank it helps control ph I have a 55 gallon and i had the same issue the more plants the better off your tank will be. Also when you check you water check your tap water to see what the ph is and there are some fish that can tolerate a low ph. Ask your local pet store about what fish but i would try the plants and give it about a week to see if that helps. Good look

No comments:

Post a Comment